Monday, December 8, 2014

Change is Good

My dear officemates (Jess, Jessica, and Kate Jylkka) will confirm that I have experienced a variety of emotions during the weeks of this course in preparation for blog writing.  I once described my writing process as follows:

“Read, read, read; think, think, think; panic, panic, panic; PICTURES.”

After laughing about this for some time, I then decided to look back at my posts and realized that I not only did not always use pictures, I actually wrote a few things that will be useful to future-me.  Especially now that I am in the throes of *writing* (read: somewhere between the think/panic stage described above) my term paper on The People in the Trees for Mark’s class on Race, I believe that thinking through this book in ways that were not always comfortable was a very useful practice.  I have also experienced, in no particular order, the following other mental meanderings:

  1. Writing every week
    ...is a scary and unfamiliar practice for me.  I knew this would be good for me to do because of the scariness business I mentioned above, but it is not something I have had to in a very long time.  I tend to be one who ruminates on something for a long time--days, weeks, months--makes lists in the meantime, and then in a flurry of somewhere between 12-48 hours, writes the whole damn thing.  I wrote about 70 pages of my master’s thesis in two weeks, and had previously prided myself on my 15 hours-15 pages schedule.  Now, in this new ballgame of professional rumination, dialogue, and critique, I find myself making adjustments to what had heretofore worked for me.  To extend the metaphor with another metaphor, let’s just say this game’s been a nail biter.  

  1. Change to the routine can be a good thing.
    I am no longer a high school teacher, and realize now how much I had become one.  I spent the last 6 or 7 years thinking about how to explain very complicated ideas to teenagers.  Teenagers are exactly like what you think they’re like, including but not limited to, having very short attention spans, very ego-centric, highly emotional, starved for attention, and absolutely hilarious.  As many teachers (hopefully) do, I realized that not all students learn the way I learned.  There are all kinds--auditory, kinesthetic, those who can do rote memorization, those who want nothing more than to know all the answers and all the right ways, and those who could give approximately zero f*cks.  After many of my long think-think-thinks, but not quite panics, I found pictures.  Pictures became my way to explain all kinds of things, especially what those who said they were not “English people”...whatever that means (and not British citizens, nor Anglophiles).  I taught essays with geometric proofs and geography with dice and the American Dream with triangles.  Of course we did close reading and discussion too, but the larger, and in my mind, more exciting learning happened when we had to think differently than we thought we were supposed to.  Now that those around me give more than many f*cks, I am reorienting myself to thinking about the words, then using the words to talk about them, and writing words about the words.  Strangely, as one who considers herself a words person, it has been a challenge, but a welcome one at that.  

  1. This is fun.
    I honestly didn’t think I would laugh this much in graduate school.  Perhaps I spent too much time on the East Coast with old boys in brick buildings with marble floors, but I never expected the camaraderie that I feel around this community of scholars.  I love hearing from my professors that they go to each other for help, or that the graduate students schedule work sessions just to make sure we’re doing the thing we came here to do.  And should we feel compelled to make a joke about this week’s readings, everyone gets it.  Did I always enjoy doing all the readings? No, but they forced me to get out of my weird island world that I spend the rest of my time in my head in, and they aided my process of making meaningful adjustments to work that I truly care about.

8 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I love that you have a bifurcated mode of "thinking differently" about the work--that it's both a moving-toward and stepping-away action, and that both are essential. I'm also very glad that we have a supportive scholarly community here; it's fantastic to be able to work among like-minded folks who are both human and passionately dedicated. Woo! Give all the f*cks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so fascinated by this idea of you reintroducing yourself to the practice of using/finding/thinking about words instead of simplifying concepts for a different audience. I think for many of us (or at least for me?) your use of pictures and familiar-unfamiliar things like emojis in talking about critical articles was a refreshing use of imagination in the context of literary studies, so it's interesting to realize that you were moving away from it as we were moving toward it through your posts.
    It brought up a lot of the same delight that I experience when reading and stumbling across a word I don't know or that is being used in an unexpected way. Though it may not fit in a formal paper, I hope this part of your engagement with the work sticks around, especially as a teaching tool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that your discussion of the readings is only a small part of your post, but I really identified with your assertion that the readings "forced me to get out of my weird island world that I spend the rest of my time in my head in, and they aided my process of making meaningful adjustments to work that I truly care about." I felt the same way about many of the readings. On average, 2/3 of the articles we read seemed at first to have no connections whatsoever to early modern literature. But the constant demand to interpret these articles and apply them to my text helped me to practice being creative with my text and getting out of my own weird island.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing every week has also been a challenge for me, but you've found such cool/innovative/enviable ways to react to these readings and to say often profound things about your text and the situation of Pacific Island literature.

    If you want, we can start a club called Literature People Who Also Like Pictures! Doesn't that sound swell?

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Read, read, read; think, think, think; panic, panic, panic; PICTURES.”

    Ditto here. No wait, not PICTURES … that last word, for me, should be CRY :-)

    I'm on the second panic right now as my paper deadline approaches and I've stocked up on kleenex. So I should be good. But I'm going to research PICTURES during my holiday break because its a much nicer alternative for ending a quarter. Thanks Rebecca for such stimulating and fun posts - always a pleasure to read and think about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, you guys are nice. And Tom, I'm totally down for a group for kids who read good but also want to learn to do other stuff good too. Oh, and Sally, I intend to replace that Kleenex box with a glass of zin tomorrow--those are even better than pictures ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zin??!! I'm right there with you, Rebecca! My favorite red …

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post made me laugh. Glad to hear that you are writing (and hopefully not panicking) about "People in the Trees" as we speak. I see diss. writing on some of these very topics in your future.

    ReplyDelete