Sunday, November 2, 2014

A menage à trois with Foucault, Maisie, and Fanny

Today we sat down with Fanny Hill and Maisie Beale to talk about their texts in light of Michel Foucault’s “The Mesh of Power.” What follows is a real, unadulterated look at the behind-the-scene dynamics in What Maisie Knew and Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure.


Bethany Q & Jess K: Foucault says that “Delinquency is useful.” Discuss how you see that in your text.


Maisie B: My parents, Ida and Beale, my step parents Mrs. Beale and Sir Claude, even Mrs. Wix who claims to be wholly committed to my happiness, are ultimately driven by an intense desire to transgress societal bounds to experience bodily pleasure, both the visceral feeling of satisfied emotion and also baser pleasures that as an adolescent I still know little about. You know, Foucault says, “In any case, the politics of sex will install itself within this whole politics of life that will become so important in the 19th century” (7). My mother embodies the delinquency of extramarital sex, a taboo in the 19th century and an intricate part of why my text is so deliciously naughty; she is often in a “violent splendour...like that of some gorgeous idol described in a story-book” (53). This causes her, however, to “break out into questions as to what had passed at the other house between that horrible woman and Sir Claude” (53) among other odd behaviors, and this delinquency, her inability to extricate her emotions from her drive for pleasure, causes her to become the villain of the text. I slowly but surely lose all desire to be with her, and you, my readers, follow suit.


Fanny H: Michel talks about prostitution in his presentation, though he focuses much more on pimps than what happened on the streets and brothels of London in the 1740s. The madame or bawd was a bigger menace for women like me. Acting out delinquency allowed me to become rich. And we don’t have room here to talk about the delinquency of people who kept my banned text in print or illustrated it with such graphic images.


But delinquency also let me get revenge. Mr. H— had his way with my maid Hannah about seven months into our relationship (68). As I say in my book, “my pride alone was hurt, my heart not.” Maybe I should have made him pay for his “stooping to such a coarse morsel” financially, but I decided to pay him back in “the same coin” (70). Mr. H— had just taken Will into his service, a young country boy with eyes that were “naturally wanton” and often carried messages between the two of us (70). Lucky me Will had a “not the play-thing of a boy, not the weapon of a man, but a may-pole of so enormous a standard, that had proportions been observ’d, it must have belong’d to a young giant” (72). Unluckily Mr. H— discovered us in much a similar position as I’d seen him with Hannah; even though I explained to him that it was his own behavior I’d taken as a model, he still broke off our relationship (86). So breaking the rules was useful in the short term, but had longer repercussions than I intended at the time.


JK & BQ: How does the commodification of pleasure play out in your respective texts and how does pleasure tie into your exercise of power?


Fanny H: There was Mr. Barvile who liked to be whipped and whip others; he paid me well to wield the lash and be lashed in return (143). After our time together Mrs. Cole (who ran the best, most collective-feeling, brothel in London) knew I was a girl “after her own heart, afraid of nothing” (153). Then I had clients like the old man who wanted to brush my hair and sometimes put kid gloves on my hands, but nothing else.
Pleasure’s a dangerous thing. But after toying around with women in my innocence, I knew that having a man with a “large engine” was key to my sexual and economic happiness. It’s why I was so excited when Charles came back into my life. But that’s another story.


Maisie B: It is hard for me to be completely aware of my intent, or in other words try to decipher what kind of specific pleasure I derive from being with Sir Claude. I do know that my intense desire to have Sir Claude all to myself causes me to manipulate the situation whenever I see him. Because he loves me and is also conflicted about how he loves me (am I his child? his “old woman” as he likes to call me, wise beyond my years? A commodity to use in his ongoing battle with my mother and two governesses?), I use this to my advantage. I even once thought I had won – Sir Claude and I spent the day together when he asked me to give up Mrs. Wix to live with him and Mrs. Beale, but he for a moment was clearly desirous of giving me everything I wanted in the world; namely, to be only with him. We almost left forever together for Paris, and “it was the most extraordinary thing in the world.” In that moment I had the most excruciatingly pleasurable experience when I thought I had won, and when my hopes were promptly dashed, I knew I “had fallen back to earth [and] the odd thing was that in [my] fall [my] fear too had been dashed down and broken. It was gone” (252). In that moment I gave Sir Claude an ultimatum – I would give up Mrs. Wix if he would give up Mrs. Beale. But I played my hand wrong.
BQ & JK: Foucault posits that power is a restrictive and negative force in Western society. How is power a driving force in your text? Is it a “mesh” as described by Foucault?


Maisie B: When my parents initially were divorced, I became a pawn in their quest for power over each other. Not knowing any better, I acted as a shuttle for their negativity as I relayed nasty messages to one and then the other, back and forth again and again until I became exhausted by my inability to decipher their intent. This certainly had the unintended effect of causing in me “a feeling of danger.” Desirous of control, I realized I had an “inner self” capable of “concealment” (James 13). In retrospect, I can see that my parents were trying to exercise their power over me and each other by constantly surveilling this untenable situation. I suddenly refused to facilitate this power struggle: I determined that I “would forget everything...would repeat nothing, and when, as a tribute to the successful application of [my] system [they] began to [call me] a little idiot, [I] tasted a pleasure altogether new…[I] spoiled their fun, but [I] practically added to [my] own” (13).


You also asked if it’s a mesh? Yes, absolutely, my parents were trapped in a society dictating that they love me and one another according to the ‘perfect family model,’ but my mother was never an angel. When that paradigm collapsed, I became a pawn in their army, but one who wasn’t trained and so learned to deploy my weapons with the utmost subtlety. And so, they gave up on me. Was it the right choice? I still can’t say.   


Fanny H: Power is everything. Even a hymen is powerful in my story. I pretended to be a virgin after going to Mrs. Cole’s brothel and got much more money from that night than I would if he thought I was already deflowered. That man thought that I was not touched, only pure, and got more satisfaction from the knowledge that he was ruining girls than I think he did from the actual act of penetration. How’s that for power and pleasure working together?

But those are just happy memories. The power I lacked when coming to London as a country innocent wasn’t as pleasant; it led me to accept a job with Mrs. Brown that wasn’t at all what she promised. A terrible old man paid 50 guineas to take my maidenhead but couldn’t get it up – then I ran off with Charles. So there’s obviously lots of power with sex and money in my story. At the end the fact that I’m rich allows me to marry Charles; he’d lost all his money but still had his status as a gentleman. Now we’re just a happy family with kids and I’m the picture of a virtuous wife. Even I can’t see all the strands that make up the mesh of our power.

6 comments:

  1. Bethany, I was thinking about Cassie and Katherine's post and their discussion of bio-politics, anatamo-politics, and motherhood as I read this, especially when I got to the end. What's going on with the power that regulates Fanny's production of a happy nuclear family, that regulates her reproduction once she is "the picture of a virtuous wife"?

    P.S. Nice work changing up the blog post format! This was fun reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun reading for sure! I appreciate the way that this post plays with the interview/lecture format that Foucault is performing through in the piece we read. The interplay in Foucault is most evident for me in the the question a "female auditor" poses about his own (lol that she calls him "Michel') exercise of power through knowledge. I can see how Fanny exploits/exercises relationships of power; I am less sure about Maisie despite her awareness of her body as commodity. More thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! It really exemplified the tensions in Foucault's piece through the literal (embodied) act of reading. It was jarring to be reading a Fanny response and start contextualizing this person as a woman who, in many ways, makes a living off of anatomizing herself and others, and then suddenly be forced to think of a young girl anatomized as a kind of commodity, the non-sexual child-as-body-prize in the social exchange system of divorce that often negates the child qua person.

    I wonder how this effect would have been experienced in a spoken lecture format like Foucault's? I can't help but visualize your post as some kind of performance piece a la the Vagina Monologues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty cool. As I was reading the Foucault, I kept wondering if he was ever going to get around to talking about sex or if that was just a carrot. The answer: a carrot, except for that one line about sex being the intersection of discipline and regulation which was so important that it got one line. So, I was very excited to see your post talking about sex and power, and adopting the personae of your female characters (and interestingly reflecting on men, which also for me becomes a reflection, at least partially, on Foucault, especially with lines like "How’s that for power and pleasure working together?" So good.)

    Beyond being fun to read, it strikes me that this seems like a really useful exercise. I've done writing like this in creative writing classes (along with imitations, which are similar) and also performed characters in performance classes. But it's a neat way to informally test your character with theoretical insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found myself thinking about Masie's refusal to cooperate in her parents' power struggle by defining an internal life that slips through the "mesh" of the family dynamic she's caught up in in terms of Bartleby after reading your post right after Sophia and Tom's. I like this idea because it turns the "mesh of power" into a sort of network of power, where refusing to be a relay ends up short circuiting your role. In this sense (not having read /What Masie Knew/ I could be getting this all wrong), perhaps Masie is the one who escapes the regulatory power that (Sophia worries above) Fanny gets caught up in in the end?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Tom, I was very much looking forward to Foucault taking about sexuality in his text. But even though that didn't happen, I'm glad I got my fill of sexy-discussing from your post.

    As I read through your post, I wondered in what ways it might be possible to see Maisie and Fanny as iterations of a character type. Do you think it might be relevant or useful to see Maisie as a younger version of Fanny? Or Fanny as an older but lower-class version of Maisie? I'm sure that it could be problematic to flatten these characters via a "compare-and-contrast" approach, but I think it might be useful to consider the similarities in their responses to sex and sexuality in a patriarchal, capitalist, western world.

    ReplyDelete