Monday, November 24, 2014

"Lethal sweetness socks tots": animating theory, animating a cereal box

Probably what I've outlined below is too ambitious, even for advanced undergraduates-- I welcome y'alls input on that.

If I wanted to teach Mel Chen’s "Toxic Animacies", I think the first thing I would have to do is spend some time discussing the points in the article that I think would be difficult for an undergraduate reader: namely, Chen’s prose is dense, and several of her lines of argumentation push at the boundaries of what we expect to see in an article. 

I think it’s worth it to try to show students how to be patient with texts like this. For me, this involves reading them with the kind of critical eye we bring to science fiction (or any fiction), rather than asking if the world described in theory matches up with our experience. In other words, I think that (from a pedagogical perspective) it would be useful to treat theory as requiring a readerly logic of “what if?” rather than one of “what is?"

So instead of starting with the Chen piece, I would start with “Heat Death of the Universe” and a discussion of genre. 
  • This short story has actually been the source of a lot of debate about genre: it was published in a science fiction magazine, but the SF community is split on whether it is SF or not. What do you guys think?
I've seen this particular question asked in classes before. It tends to create interesting debates about genre.

I’d spend a couple of minutes on how science fiction is defined at various points by various theorists:


  • a sort of ‘predictive’ logic of SF (beginning with the early pulps)
  • which was reframed by New Worlds (the magazine in which this story appears): editor M. Moorcock tries to move from intensive engagement with technology, the future, and “outer space” to an engagement with speculative approaches to “inner space.” 
  • Darko Suvin’s definition of science fiction as “the literature of cognitive estrangement”: 
    • meaning that it deals with unfamiliar/strange objects, situations, and locations (estrangement), 
    • but it is possible to approach these instances of “strange newness” using a cognitive approach, making sense of the relationship between them and the “real world”
Then I’d ask what aspects of Zoline's short story are speculative, in the sense of creating estrangement and cognition. I'd take a few responses before moving on, once I got a sense that students understood the concepts outlined above.

Transitioning to ‘Toxic Animacies,’ I would encourage students to think of this piece of theory in a similar way— what kind of world would we have to imagine for the theory to make more sense? As I was saying before, I feel like there are parts in Chen's piece that use complex language and are hard to parse, and then other parts that may be easier to understand but might be either emotionally uncomfortable or hard to believe.

Two such moments, at least for me, are:

(1) The section in which Chen riffs on the idea of "black children licking the peeling walls of their unmaintained dwellings" and the (unrepresentable, but surely there?) image of a little white boy licking Thomas the Tank Engine, “playing improperly with the phallic toy” (270-1). For me at least, this was a tiny bit unconvincing, if deliciously controversial. I have never envisioned either of these scenes!

In discussing this with students, I would try to guide them to the idea of looking at this image as a stylistic device. The the idea of interpenetration, permeability, and radical vulnerability to others (and the assault on traditional white masculinity this implies) seems to hold up even if we don't buy the queerness of licking Thomas the Tank Engine. 
  • “If this were a kind of science fictional representation, we wouldn’t say 'I’ve never seen a two-headed alien in real life’, and stop there. We would ask what the author is DOING with the two-headed alien— why are they depicting it, rather than ‘is it possible?’. Instead of asking if it’s plausible, lets ask what Chen is trying to represent with this image."

(2) This might lead us into the section in which Chen writes personally about her experiences with multiple chemical sensitivity. Here I think it would be good to give students time to express their responses to Chen’s description of intoxication and vulnerability. 
  • Who among us has never used scented laundry detergent, deodorant, cigarettes or skin cream? How should we feel addressed by this section of the paper? I for one feel guilt and anxiety about being toxic, which threatens to slide into frustration and anger at her “sensitivity” to me.
  • What kind of world does Chen live in, and what does it draw her attention to? Her experiences may seem “estranged” from our own (or maybe not?), but they DO let us see the “real world” differently.
Finally, time permitting, I would bring us back to “Heat Death,” and ask students if we can find scenes that help us understand what Chen means by ‘animacy.’ She writes that while "animacy has no single definition," part of it is "a quality of agency, sentience, or liveness." She encourages us to "ask not 'who is alive, or dead,' but 'what is animate, or inanimate, or less animate'; relationally, we can ask about the possibilities of the interobjective, above and beyond the intersubjective” (280). 

As a candidate passage for finding “animacy” in “Heat Death,” (should students be less than forthcoming), I would turn to the description of a box of frosted flakes which participates in the kind of narratives of toxicity Chen describes. I’ve included an image of the passage below, instead of a big block of text, so I can pretend this entry is shorter than it would be otherwise.

I wish I could conduct a detailed close reading of this passage for you all now, but I’m really pushing myself to stop at two pages, for all of our sakes. So suffice it to say that I think the way that the box is designed to “appeal” to children begins to bleed over into a sort of animacy. The box undergoes a transformation here from being “appealing,” (i.e. having properties of classical sculpture) to launching a series of appeals, a “blatted” discourse with the children (to which they enthusiastically respond). And then there is this maternal paranoia about why the cereal box is so communicative: Sarah already hears "the decay set in upon the little white milk teeth, the bony whine of the dentist's drill,” and fears the cereal must cause a “special cruel cancer in children.”

 (animating a box of frosted flakes, p.1 )

 (a special, cruel cancer p.2)

There's more than enough here for chewing through some of the Chen, though admittedly it diminishes her point about differential risk exposure: I'd have to bring that up specifically, perhaps by noting the brilliant moment where she talks about the NY Times' assumption that cheap McDonalds toys certainly may be toxic, expensive trains should not be. 


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this lesson plan, and I think that this could work for upper-level undergrads, depending on how advanced they are. I think the way you move from Heat Death to Chen and back to Heat Death works very nicely. The opening discussion on how to classify SF would I'm sure be interesting. I also appreciate your approach to teaching Chen's theory. I think that I barely even questioned the article's difficulty and weirdness because I really like when articles are a little strange in their approach (and I found this one dense in a more enjoyable-because-unusual way than the denseness of monotonous and badly written jargon), so I imagine that your question of "what if?" rather than "what is?" would be extremely helpful to students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For me at least, this was a tiny bit unconvincing, if deliciously controversial. I have never envisioned either of these scenes!" -- this is my favorite part because I can hear you say it! Sally said it in her post, but I'll say it again here: you've done a great job of elucidating complex ideas in both Heat Death and Chen's text. I think the genre discussion as a way into thinking about what Chen is doing is a great one. Way to scaffold a conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that the question here should be about "what if" rather than "what is." I actually DO find plausible that the little white boy would put the train in his mouth, or that the black children could put fallen paint chips into their mouths, thus ingesting lead in that way. BUT the "licking" that Chen writes of clearly emphasizes the queerness of the act in a different way -- it suggest deliberateness, play and intimacy -- and prolongs the act in a way that simply "putting in the mouth" does not. So as you say: what are the effects of this image? This is a great question to pose to undergrads regardless of what level they might be at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great comments you guys! I'm glad you think this might work. There are definitely some theorists who say that science fiction and critical theory are the same thing (ie Istvan Csiseray-Ronay), which I'm not sure is true. But it does suggest a potentially interesting pedagogical experiment :-)

    I also find the putting-in-mouth of basically any object unsurprising, for all humans but especially for children… As you suggest, Desiree, it's more that I find it hard to imagine these things as being necessarily and obviously controversial, or coded as indicators of class, queerness,or disability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, love the "'what if' vs. 'what is'" idea. A few things on the question of kids putting things in their mouths and risk differentiation:

    1) I do wonder if images of kids putting toys in their mouths or licking the walls relate to a general unwillingness to acknowledge that people experience organic exposure (to anything--lead, information, ideology) in sufficient quantities to absorb and become affected by it even without deliberate actions like licking (or watching cable news).

    2) I am inclined to think that these images do come into play to some extent, even subconsciously, given the difference in response to lead paint vs. lead toys. [Primarily white] parents were in an uproar over the lack of regulation and investment in quality standards for these toys--even people who on any other day of the year think government regulation is the devil incarnate (I admit to having only anecdotal, albeit firsthand, evidence of overlap in these groups). Better regulation and enforcement of imported toys would be a costly endeavor. I suspect that very few among that very vocal crowd would argue that the same amount of public funds ought to be spent removing the lead paint threat from homes in poor neighborhoods.

    ReplyDelete